EXPERIENCE THE PROFOUND TEACHINGS OF MAHAMUDRA IN A PEACEFUL RETREAT SETTING, with Dr. Carlos de León. This 7-Day Residential Retreat, May 20-26, 2017, covers the Second Year* of a 4-year study program. The term ‘Mahamudra’ is Sanskrit. ‘Maha’ means ‘great’ and refers to great bliss; ‘mudra’, means literally ‘seal’ or ‘posture’. In this practice, it refers to non-illusion, or Emptiness. The union of great bliss and emptiness, sustained by the clear light of one’s true nature, is considered the goal of the highest Yoga Tantra. A Mahamudra practice is aimed at the attainment of Buddhahood.
*Each year of this four-year program offers a complete cycle of practices, empowerments and teachings. While it is desirable to do the program sequentially, strengthening one’s foundation and understanding step by step, the Second Year Retreat can also accommodate first-time students. All students can expect to receive individual attention from Dr. Carlos de León, and personal guidance with their individual practices.
Mahamudra Tantra is defined as a mind of fully qualified clear light that experiences great bliss and realizes emptiness directly. The collection of merit produces the Buddha’s Form Body: the collection of wisdom produces the Buddha’s Truth Body, or Dharmakaya.
When we train in the meditations of Mahamudra Tantra we are transforming our continuously residing body and mind into a Buddha’s Form Body and Truth Body. Mahamudra Tantra, therefore, gives rise to profound and ineffable meaning.
Mahamudra is taught in three stages:
- Sutra Mahamudra uses the Mind as the practice ground, teaching it to rest in a state of non-conceptual wisdom; a unity of clarity and wisdom.
- Mantra Mahamudra works with stages of the creation and completion of deity practices. It includes detailed instructions on the Six Yogas of Naropa; techniques for working with nadi, prana and bindu.
- Essence Mahamudra leads to the instant realization of one’s true nature, or ‘Buddha nature’; and is offered in the fourth and final year.
What you can expect to learn in the May 2017 Retreat, second year of Teachings:
- The yoga of inner heat (or mystic heat).
- The yoga of the illusory body.
- The yoga of the clear light or radiant light.
- The yoga of the dream state, a time for practice and transformation.
- The yoga of the intermediate state which includes aspects of illusory body and dream yoga.
- The yoga of the transference of consciousness to a pure Buddhafield.
Tantra Mahamudra Retreat Details:
Dates: May 20 to 26, 2017
Begins: Check in is 9:00 am and the retreat program starts at 10:00 am
Finishes: Last teaching session ends at 1:00 pm & room check out is at 11:00 am
Location: Loon Lake Lodge & Retreat Centre, Maple Ridge, BC
This beautiful spot on the shore of a pristine lake, is part of the University of British Columbia’s Malcolm Knapp Research Forest. Located 1.5 hours from downtown Vancouver, it is like an enchanted woods, full of walking trails and wildlife.
Program Fees: Includes tuition, accommodation for 6 days and nights; 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 6 dinners beginning with lunch on May 20, 2017 and concluding with breakfast on May 26, 2017. Options for lodging is on a first come first serve basis, therefore we recommend you register early to reserve your preferred choice of accommodations.
Accommodation & Tuition Options:
- A – Koerner Lodge Double Room: Regular Fee – $1,850
- Early Bird: Final Payment is due before February 1, 2017 – $1,700
- B – Koerner Lodge Quad Room: Regular Fee – $1,700
- Early Bird : Final Payment is due before February 1, 2017 – $1,550
- C – Johnson Yew Double Room with Shared Bathrooms: Regular Fee – $1,700
- Early Bird: Final Payment is due before February 1, 2017 – $1,550
All fees will be subject to 5% GST & Payments can be extended to March 1, 2017 for an additional $75.
SPECIAL Offer: Tuition Paid in FULL at the time of registration, you will receive an additional $100 off your Retreat Fee! *Offer only valid until December 1, 2016.
- A deposit of $450 + GST is required at the time of registration, and the balance is due on or before February 1, 2017 to receive the Early Bird Rates.
- Registration for the Tantra Mahamudra Residential Retreat closes on May 6, 2017, or when the capacity of 55 people for lodging onsite has been reached.
with Dr. Carlos de León!
A few words of what the students experienced during our May 2016 Retreat…
‘Loved the retreat… teachings were profound and what an amazing setting’ jajajaja ~ DM
‘There may be no words for the actual Mahamudra meditation, but for the session Carlos led at Loon Lake, there are barely enough superlatives to describe my experience! Talk about a Gift that keeps on Giving….! ~ PM
‘Mahamudra Retreat was like heaven on earth… I am over flowing with joy and love’ ~ RS
‘The Mahamudra teachings were incredibly valuable, as all teachings from Carlos de Leon. I really appreciate the way that he makes accessible an ancient wisdom such as Mahamudra and allows us to extract the essence of it; so when we approach the practice it is filled with a deep understanding of the principles, vision and fruit of the path, beyond the orthodox point of view.’ ~ MP
“Is space anywhere supported? Upon what does it rest? Like space, Mahamudra is dependent upon nothing. Relax and settle in the continuum of unalloyed purity; and, your bonds loosening, release is certain. Gazing intently into the empty sky, vision ceases. Likewise, when mind gazes into mind itself. The train of discursive and conceptual thought ends; and supreme enlightenment is gained”.
“Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom, it is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.”
“May everything be auspicious for the mahamudra of great bliss – the sphere of voidness, clarity and appearance – purified down to the depths.”